Wednesday, October 21, 2015

October Favorite Things: Favorite Recipes - Fish With Preserved Lemon Couscous

**This post is dedicated to Sarah...who provided the most amazing Artisanal Afghan Saffron!
Saffron is one of my new favorite spices to cook with...and yes, I had to look it up to see if it was even considered a spice.  Ha.  There is a recipe in The Fast Diet Cookbook that I checked out from the library on mistake.  I thought I was getting a different book.  Regardless, it was a great find and had so many recipes we liked that I ended up buying the book for myself!  One of my favorite recipes in the book is Allegra McEvedy's Bake-In-The-Bag Fish With Preserved Lemon Couscous!  Oh my! (You can click on the link above to go to the recipe...fyi...fresh coriander is another way of saying cilantro. Also, the recipe in my book does not have the yogurt sauce, which sounds fantastic to me!)
The ingredients for the couscous, minus the fish and fennel. 
 I made my own quick preserved lemons, which turned out fairly well.
  Meyer Lemons would have worked better, but they were not available at the time. 

The Saffron, of course!

The Saffron threads soaking in water. Isn't it beautiful??!!  I hated to
 remove the threads, and tried to come up with something else to use them for. :)

The finished couscous, before being put into bags with the fish and fennel! 

This is a lovely, light, and refreshing meal that I really enjoyed! I hope that you will check it out!  If you want to learn more about Saffron, click here

**Disclaimer: I am not familiar with The Fast Diet. I just really enjoyed some of the recipes in their cookbook. :)

No comments: