Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Tuesday Review: A Dale Carnegie Classic

* I originally posted this on my other website on August 16, 2016.
I finally picked up Dale Carnegie’s classic, How To Win Friends and Influence People, the other day at the library.  It had been on my book list for quite some time.  Honestly, I have no idea what finally prompted me to start reading it, but I AM SO GLAD I DID.  In fact, it has been so life-challenging (if that’s even a term) that I bought my own copy.
Now, I have not finished reading it yet. (And yes, I have a bad habit of recommending books that I haven’t even completed.)  But I’m a few chapters into this one and it is so good, so truly timeless in it’s truths, that if you haven’t read it yet, you need to order yourself a copy TODAY.  It has such potential to improve not only your business, but all aspects of life, including your marriage and your relationship with your children.
I will give one example of how it has already made a huge impact on my life…and then I’ll tell you again…CHECK OUT THIS BOOK.  Or better yet, buy your own copy, because you will want to read and re-read so many sections of this book.
The second chapter of the book is all about giving honest and sincere appreciation of the people in your life, whether at home with your family, with your co-workers at work, your clients in business, your students at school–basically EVERYONE that you interact with or have relationship with.  While reading this chapter, I realized that I had fallen into a rhythm with my own family of not being intentional of my appreciation and praise for them, as well as not really looking out for ways to show kindness and love to them.  I am SO thankful for the wake up call!
I could share so much more…as I seriously already have 30 sticky notes marking different sections that I plan to go back and “chew on”. Ha.  Instead, I will leave you with an old saying that Mr. Carnegie used to close out the chapter on giving appreciation.
     I shall pass this way but once; any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now.  Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Blessings~ Kendra

No comments: